A pop-up discussion group for dance makers who acknowledge the cost of dedicating one’s life to dance.
Life gets blurry with all the artistic and administrative roles we play. During this artist-to-artist discussion group, we share our ideologies and learned behaviors in the hopes of creating a supportive environment amongst peers who have developed strategies (conscious and unconscious) in order to balance the financial, emotional, physical, and creative. Together, we will acknowledge the gaps in resources, trade approaches, make sense of the seemingly senseless, offer support, discover personal philosophies, and point out various routes for navigating the dance field.
We often don’t realize how much training goes into finding our way through this mostly impossible world we choose to live in. Trade Offs is an occasional series of meetings/exchanges open to all dance makers. We will speak openly and discuss everything from life lessons to cautionary tales, though we’ll avoid “best practices” as this is not a one-size-fits-all kind of discussion. Trade Offs will be hosted by Michèle Steinwald at The Cowles Center and will welcome new guest artists to the discussion as available.
Previous Trade Offs:
- Joanne Kotze (New York)//June 2, 2015
- Pavel Zuštiak (New York)//July 15, 2015
- Sam Kim (New York) // April 6, 2016
- Luis Garay (Buenos Aires) and Ann Carlson (California) // April 19, 2016
- McKnight Dancer Fellows and SOLO commissioned choreographers//September 20, 2016
- Derick Grant (NYC - choreographer for Kaleena Miller)
- Idan Sharabi (Israel - choreographer for Alanna Morris-Van Tassel)
- Tamara Ober (MN - choreographer for Brian Evans)
- Deja Stowers (MN - choreographer for Kenna-Camara Cottman)